Your Guide to Gutter Installation
Guttering can sometimes be overlooked by homeowners but here at Ian’s Property Maintenance, we understand how important it is for the functionality of your home.
We offer an installation service for new guttering plus we can repair existing gutters with the finest materials to match your homestyle.
Steps to Achieving Great Guttering with Ian’s Property Maintenance
Here’s a short guide to how we install gutters:
• Establish the position of the running or stopend outlet then hang a bob from the fascia directly over the drain.
• Using a pencil we mark the positioning of the outlet and its fixing holes onto the fascia making sure it’s no more than 50mm below the level of the roof.
• Drill pilot holes then fit the outlet making sure screws aren’t over tightened.
• Measure from the outlet to roughly 100mm from the end of the fascia then position and fix a fascia bracket that’s higher than the outlet and the fall to the outlet is around 3mm per metre.
• Tie a line of string from the fascia bracket to the outlet and pull it tight, then using a spirit level check that the string runs slightly downhill from the fascia bracket to the outlet.
• From the fitted fascia bracket, we measure and mark the position of the remaining brackets and should be just about touching the string to maintain an even fall.
• Now we fix the remaining fascia brackets then we lubricate the gutter seals with a silicone spray which makes fitting it easier and aid expansion and contraction.
• Fit the first length of gutter working from the outlet towards the highest point, tilting so that it sits beneath the back clip. We will then ‘snap’ it into position by pushing down at the front.
• At the end of the first piece of guttering, we fit a union bracket screwing it into the fascia.
• Add the next section of the gutter into the union bracket with joints lining up with the insertion depth marked onto the fittings.
• Continue installing the lengths of gutter then measure the final gap with a hacksaw and cut a piece of gutter to length and finally fit an external stopend to complete your new guttering.
Talk to Us About Gutter Installation
Ian’s Property Maintenance has over a decade of experience in property maintenance in Stafford plus home improvements such as roofs, guttering and kitchen installation.
To find out more about our services please get in touch today to speak to one of our specialists.