Brickwork for your home
There are several types of brickwork that you might find around your home, from different styles of brickwork for your main walls, to fancy styles for your garden walls. Here at Ian’s Property Maintenance, we can get the brickwork you want!
Different types of brickwork
With multiple styles of brickwork on the cards, you might be wondering which is right for the job you are having done. While we are happy to discuss this with you before we start any work, here is a shortlist of some of the most popular, and their common uses:
- Stretcher bond – one of the most common styles that you find in modern bricklaying. This style is often found in sleeper walls, partition walls, division walls and chimney stacks
- Header bond – this style uses the shortest side of the brick as the face, rather than the longer end. This style is commonly used in “one brick thick” walls, such as low garden walls.
- English bond – using a combination of the above styles in alternate layers. Similar to the header bond, this is commonly used to construct “one brick thick” walls, and is found to be more stable.
- Flemish bond – this style uses alternate longer and shorter (header) edges to make up the face.
- Common bond/American bond – Similar to the English bond, without the alternate every layer, this style is 4 levels of stretcher, to 1 header. This style is commonly used for load-bearing walls
While this isn’t an exhaustive list, it includes the most commonly found here in the UK. If you have seen a style that you like, that is not listed here, please feel free to discuss this with us, we will be more than happy to accommodate where we can.
There are a number of different styles of brickwork that can be used to create a driveway or patio that differ to those used in a wall. However, there can be many, many, more options depending on the design you are looking for. The standard designs include:
- Running bond – as with the above wall, these are all longside up in appearance. And these can be laid in any direction to suit you.
- Herringbone bond – a very popular design for driveways this is the commonly seen zig-zag pattern,
- Basketweave bond – A square pattern with bricks placed side-by-side in pairs, and each pair is perpendicular to its neighbours.
For more information on any of the above brickwork styles, or to discuss any brickwork that you require, please get in touch with a member of our team today who will be happy to assist you.